Overview

The Government of the 1820s and 1830s were keen to promote beer drinking instead of spirits, especially gin. Widespread drunkenness through gin consumption was believed to be detrimental to the working class, and had led to the rise of the Temperance Society which campaigned for closure of the 'gin shops'. The former drink of the working man: beer, was taxed which meant the cost of beer could be prohibitive to the working classes despite that fact that beer was safer to drink than water. Water at this time was untreated and dangerous to drink.

The Beerhouse Act (1 Will. IV, c.64 1830) was introduced by the Duke of Wellington's Tory government. It abolished the beer tax, extended the opening hours of licensed public houses, taverns and alehouses to 18 hours a day. Previously it was 15 hours. These were subject to the control of the local justices, and licensing was required.

The Act also introduced the Beerhouse. Premises which could sell only beer. The opening hours could be from 4am to 10pm. For a small fee of 2 guineas payable to the local excise officer, anyone could brew and sell beer. The excise licence would state whether the beer could be drunk on or off the premises. Supervision of these establishments by local justices was severely curtailed which led to many local complaints by magistrates and local gentry keen to control the working classes in their area.

Within a few months over 24000 beerhouse excise licenses were granted. The beerhouses provided not only beer, but food, games and some even lodging. Beerhouses were also known by the name ''small beer' or 'Tom and Jerry' shops. In villages and towns many shopkeepers opened their own beerhouse and sold beer alongside their shop wares. Beer would be brewed on the premises or purchased from brewers.

Many beerhouses became the haunt of criminals, prostitutes and some even became brothels. Concern over law and order resulted in the excise fee being raised to 3 guineas and property qualifications introduced. But it was not until 1869 that a change in the law brought licensing of the beerhouses back under the control of the local justices. Many then closed, or changed to fully licensed public houses.

Debenham Pubs
    The Pubs

    Angel

    Address: 5 High Street, Debenham, Stowmarket, Suffolk IP14 6QL. Tel: 01728 860954.
    Status: Open

    The Angel was previously called The Talbot from about 1617 until 1620 when it was renamed to become The Angel.

    The Angel Inn - 2008

    Bell

    See The George


    Bells Inn

    See The George


    Buck

    See Buck's Head Inn


    Bucks Head Inn

    Address: 27 High Street, Debenham
    Status: Originally a 16th Century Coaching Inn, now closed.

    • 1823 - John Pooley
    • 1830 - Theodore Banyard (taken from 1830 Pigot's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1891 - Mary Ann Rolfe (taken from 1891 Census - RG12 1462 91 Page 9)
    • 1901 - George Keeble (taken from 1901 Census - RG13 1768 89 Page 7)

    Cherry Tree Inn

    Address: 1 Cherry Tree Lane, Debenham, Stowmarket, Suffolk IP14 6QT. Tel: 01728 860275.
    Status: Closed 2008, but currently (early 2013) undergoing refurbishment.

    Cherry Tree Inn - 1906
    Cherry Tree Inn - 2008

     

    • 1823 - John Gonner, & Auctioneer (taken from 1823/1824 Pigot's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1830 - Edmund Tydeman (taken from 1830 Pigot's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1839 - Edmund Tydeman (taken from 1839 Pigot's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1839 - E. Tydeman (taken from 1839 Robson's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1844 - Edm. Tydeman (taken from 1844 White's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1851 - Edmund Tydeman (taken from the 1851 Census - HO107 1797 88 Page
    • 1855 - Edm. Tydeman (taken from 1855 White's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1858 - Edmund Tydeman (taken from 1858 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1861 - Seth Rolfe (taken from the 1861 Census - RG9 1155 125 Page 11)
    • 1865 - Seth Rolfe  (taken from 1865 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1867 - Seth Rolfe to Charles Cullingham (taken from original document dated 6th June 1867)
    • 1869 - Henry Neale, & plumber & glazier (taken from 1869 Post Office Suffolk Directory)
    • 1871 - James Collins (taken from 1871 Census - RG10 1742 108 Page 32)
    • 1874 - James Collins (taken from 1874 White's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1881 - James Flagg (taken from 1881 Census - RG11 1860 93 Page 6)
    • 1885 - Peter Howlett
    • 1891 - Peter Howlett
    • 1892 - Peter Howlett
    • 1892 - Joseph Whitehart (taken from 1892 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1893 - Joseph Whitehart (taken from a Parish Marriage dated 10th May 1893)
    • 1896 - Hy. Jsph. Fox (taken from 1896 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1900 - Henry Joseph Fox (taken from 1900 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1901 - Henry J Fox (taken from 1901 Census - RG13 1768 73 Page 8)
    • 1912 - Henry Joseph Fox (taken from 1912 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1916 - Jas Sharman (taken from 1916 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1925 - Jas Sharman (taken from 1925/1926 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1929 - Jas Sharman (taken from 1929 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1937 - Chas. Stewert Turner (taken from 1937 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1955 - The Cherry Tree Inn becomes a listed building, Grade II (http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-281488-cherry-tree-inn-debenham-suffolk)

    Dove Inn

    Address: Down Row, Debenham, Stowmarket, Suffolk.
    Status: Now a private house.

    Dove Inn - 2008

    The Dove Inn (also known as The Old Dove), was in Down Row in Debenham. Today it is a private house.

    Residents at the Dove Inn have included the following:

     


    Eight Bells Inn

    Address: Debenham, Stowmarket, Suffolk.
    Status: Demolished.

    The Eight Bells Inn used to be on the Green facing the row of houses to the left of Foresters Hall. These do not exist any more. The Eight Bells Inn was burnt down as a result of a fire in Herbert Goodings Paint Shop which was next door to it, in 1911. There is a photo of the Pub and Paint Shop after the fire in "A Short History of Debenham" by Pauline Heywood - See Shop for more details.

    In the 1851 & 1861 Census's, it is referred to as "Bells Inn".

    • 1823 - Widow Taylor (taken from 1823/1824 Pigot's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1830 - Daniel Smith (taken from 1830 Pigot's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1839 - James Smith (taken from 1839 Robson's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1839 - James Smith (taken from 1839 Pigot's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1844 - John Carter (taken from 1844 White's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1851 - Mary Cater (sic) (taken from the 1851 Census - HO107 1797 131 Page 47)
    • 1855 - Mary Carter (taken from 1855 White's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1861 - Wallman Norman (taken from the 1861 Census - RG9 1155 108 Page 22)
    • 1865 - Frederick Plumping (taken from 1865 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1869 - Frederick Plumping (taken from 1869 Post Office Suffolk Directory)
    • 1871 - Fredk Plamping (taken from 1871 Census - RG10 1742 107 Page 30)
    • 1874 - John Sterry (taken from 1874 White's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1881 - Charlotte Cattermole (taken from 1881 Census - RG11 1860 93 Page 5)
    • 1885 - Charlotte Cattermole (taken from 1885 White's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1891 - David Green (taken from 1891 Census - RG12 1462 73 Page 8)
    • 1891 - David Green (taken from 1891/1892 White's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1892 - David Green (taken from 1892 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1892 - David Green (taken from 1892 White's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1896 - Henry Parker (taken from 1896 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1900 - John Denney (taken from 1900 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1901 - John Denny (taken from 1901 Census - RG13 17668 73 Page 7. NOTE: Not explicitly stated to be at the Eight Bells)

    Exchequer

    Address: Down Row, Debenham, Stowmarket, Suffolk.
    Status: Now a private house.

    • about 1813 - 1816

    Falcon Inn

    Address: 1 Chancery Lane, Debenham, Suffolk
    Status: Pub Closed. Now Abbots Hardware.

    • 1861 - Edward Podd (taken from 1861 Census - RG9 1155 125 Page 11)
    • 1871 - Thomas Hipperson (taken from 1871 Census - RG10 1742 109 Page 33)
    • 1881 - Thomas Hipperson (taken from 1881 Census - RG11 1860 93 Page 6)
    • 1891 - Thomas Hipperson (taken from 1891 Census - RG12 1462 74 Page 10)
    • 1901 - Alfred J Bull (taken from 1901 Census - RG13 1768 73 Page 8)

    George

    Address: 1 Chancery Lane, Debenham, Suffolk
    Status: Pub Closed. Now Abbots Hardware.

    • 1621 - John Bond (taken from 1621 Survey Blodhall, F8V)
    • 1758 - Tho. Gooding (taken from the Ipswich Journal, dated 4th Nov, 1758)
    • 1767 - James Morling, Grocer "occupied premises lately the "George Inn"" (taken from Ref: Ipswich HA98/A6, dated 18th Jun, 1767.)

    Green Dragon Inn

    Address: 21 High Street, Debenham, Suffolk
    Status: Pub Closed.  Now Abbotts Housewares

    • 1650 - Thomas Abbott, Purchased in 1650 and converted it into a Cordwainers business (taken from Listed Buildings 1950 7A/34511)

    Green Man

    Address: Debenham, Stowmarket, Suffolk.
    Status: Pub Closed.

    • TBA

    Half Moon

    Address: 35 Church Row, Debenham, Stowmarket, Suffolk.
    Status: Demolished, now the site of a private dwelling.

    • 1713 - 1881

    Joiners Arms

    Address: 33 Gracechurch Street, Debenham, Stowmarket, Suffolk.
    Status: Now a private dwelling.

    Kings Head Inn

    Address: High Street, Debenham, Stowmarket, Suffolk.
    Status: Now a private dwelling.

    • 1714
    • 1823 - George Allen (taken from 1823/1824 Pigot's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1830 - Hannah Allen (taken from 1830 Pigot's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1839 - Thomas Bedwell (taken from 1839 Robson's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1839 - Thoms Bedwell (taken from 1839 Pigot's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1844 - Wm. Cook (taken from 1844 White's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1855 - John Butcher, farrier(or farmer?)  (taken from 1855 White's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1858 - Philip Gooding
    • 1865 - John Butcher, farrier(or farmer?) (taken from 1855 White's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1869 - William Brittan (taken from 1869 Post Office Suffolk Directory)
    • 1871 - William Brittain (taken from 1871 Census - RG10 1742 104 Page 24)
    • 1874 - William Brittan (taken from 1874 White's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1881 - Elizabeth Churchyard (taken from 1881 Census - RG11 1860 101 Page 22)
    • 1885 - Edward Mortimer
    • 1891 - Emma Mortimer
    • 1892 - Mrs Emma Mortimer
    • 1896 - Edward Mortimer (taken from a Parish Marriage Record dated 7 Sep, 1896)
    • 1896 - Richard Sage (taken from 1896 Kelly's Suffolk Directory )
    • 1900 - Isaac Osbourne (taken from 1900 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1901 - Isaac Osborne (taken from 1901 Census - RG13 1768 74 Page 9)
    • 1908 - Isaac Osbourne (taken from 1908 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)

    Old Dove

    See The Dove Inn


    Old Beer House

    See the "Prince Of Wales".


    Prince Of Wales

    Address: Old Beer House, Chancery Lane, Debenham, Stowmarket, Suffolk.
    Status: Now a private dwelling.

    Old Beer House - 2008

    The Old Beer House is thought to be originally the Prince Of Wales.

    • 1881 - Charles Rolfe (taken from 1881 Census - RG11 1860 104 Page 27)
    • 1891 -
    • 1901 - Frederick Taylor (taken from 1901 Census - RG13 1768 76 Page 13)

    Queens Head

    Address: 7 - 9 Chancery Lane, Debenham, Stowmarket, Suffolk.
    Status: Now a private dwelling.
    • about 1816

    Ram

    Address: Debenham, Stowmarket, Suffolk.
    Status: Now a private dwelling.
     

    • 1712 - 1816

    Red Lion

    Address: 8 High Street, Debenham, Stowmarket, Suffolk.
    Status: Now a private dwelling.

    Red Lion
    Red Lion - 2008

     

    • 1746
    • 1855 - Devereux Jessop (taken from 1855 White's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1858 - Devereux Jessop (taken from 1858 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1858 - Samuel Pepper (taken from 1858 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1861 -
    • 1869 - Mrs Elizabeth Jessop, licenced to let post horses (taken from 1869 Post Office Suffolk Directory)
    • 1871 - Elizabeth Jessop (taken from 1871 Census - RG10 1742 104 Page 24)
    • 1874 - Mrs. Elizabeth Jessop (taken from 1874 White's Directory)
    • 1881 - Devereux Jessop (taken from 1881 Census - RG11 1860 101 Page 22)
    • 1885 - Devereux Jessop (taken from 1885 White's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1891 - Devereux Jessop, vict., malt and hop merchant, and horse and trap letter (taken from 1891/1892 White's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1892 - Devereux Jessop (taken from 1892 White's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1892 - Devereux Jessop (taken from 1892 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1900 - Albert Edward Pratt (taken from 1900 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1912 - Albert Edwd Saunders (taken from 1912 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1916 - Albert Edward Saunders (taken from 1916 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1925 - Albert Edward Saunders (taken from 1925 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1937 - William S. Hearn (taken from 1937 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
    • 1955 - The Red Lion becomes a listed building, Grade II (http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-281519-the-red-lion-debenham-suffolk)
    • 1999 - Became a private dwelling

    Swan

    Address: Gracechurch Street, Debenham, Stowmarket, Suffolk.
    Status: Now a private dwelling.
    • about 1816

    Talbot

    The Talbot existed from about 1617 until 1620, when it was renamed The Angel.


    Ten Bells

    TBA


    White Horse

    TBA


    Woolpack

    Address: 49 High Street, Debenham, Stowmarket, Suffolk IP14 6QN. Tel: 01728 860516.
    Status: Last remaining Pub in Debenham open for business!

    The Woolpack - 2008

    NOTE from Suzie: No details found so far for the Woolpack in any of the Directories listed in the Reference Material page, so only Census references and Newspaper articles I'm afraid!.