The Manor of Giesting al Gosting's or Goslings Hall al Gostelens Hall
The following is taken from "The Manors Of Suffolk" by Walter Arthur Copinger, published in 1905.
This was vested in Robert Cheke, of Blondhall. He was the son of John Cheke and Elizabeth his wife, daughter of John Bacon, of Baconsthorpe, Norfolk. He married 1st Margery, sister of Sir Philip Tilney, and 2ndly Margaret, daughter of Richard Fitz-Williams, and on his death the manor passed to his son and heir, John Cheke, who married 1st Cecilia, daughter of John Southwell, of Barham Hall, and 2ndly Margaret, daugher of Thomas Fastolf, of Pettaugh. To him suceeded his son and heir, John Cheke, who married Anne, daughter of Thomas Fastolf. and sister of Margaret, his father's 2nd wife, and the manor descended to their son and heir, a 3rd John Cheke in succession.
The manor subsequently passed to John Bretton, and on his death in 1636 to his grandson, John Bretton, of Hadleigh. It later vested in Laurence Bretton, rector of Hitcham, who gave it by will to Foster Goodday. Foster Goodday, of Kettlebaston, married Sarah, daughter of --- Breton, of Hadleigh, and George Goodday, his brother married Margaret Breton
In 1847 this manor belonged to Charles Chevallier of Aspal Hall. Later it was sold to the Norris family who resided at "Gostling's Hall," now called "Debenham Hall," for many years.
The Property is now owned by J. W. Read.
The image below is dated about ?.
- after 1490 - Robert Cheke of Blodhall, Lord (abstracted from Copinger's "Manors of Suffolk")
- 1548 - Death of Robert Cheke of Blodhall, the mano passing to his son John, who was, in turn succeeeded by his son John, and he again, by his son John Cheke. (abstracted from Copinger's "Manors of Suffolk")
- before 1636 - Manor passed to John Bretton (abstracted from Copinger's "Manors of Suffolk")
- 1636 - Death of John Bretton, Manor passing to his grandson, John Bretton of Hadleigh, and later to Laurence Bretton, Rector of Hitsham. (abstracted from Copinger's "Manors of Suffolk")
- 1636 - 1840 - to be added
- 1841 - Samuel Kersey (taken from the 1841 Census - HO107 1038 2 1 Page 3) Click here to read the transcription
- 1847 - Charles Chevallier owns (absorbed by Harborough Hall)
- 1851 - TBA
- 1861 - James Norris (taken from the 1861 Census - RG9 1155 98 Page 2) Click here to read the transcription
- 1871 - Thomas F Bryant (taken from the 1871 Census - RG10 1742 93 Page 2) Click here to read the transcription
- 1881 - John Wm Read (taken from the 1881 Census - RG11 1860 101 Page 21) Click here to read the transcription
- 1891 - John W Read (taken from the 1891 Census - RG12 1462 82 Page 26) Click here to read the transcription
- 1900 - John Wm Read J.P., farmer & landowner (taken from 1900 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
- 1901 - John W Read (taken from the 1901 Census - RG13 1768 80 Page 21) Click here to read the transcription
- 1912 - John Abbott, farmer (taken from 1912 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)
- 1929 - Jn Abbot, farmer (taken from 1929 Kelly's Suffolk Directory)