United Reformed Church

United Reformed Church

Return from the 1851 Census Of Religious Worship

Front Street.  Erected before 1800.  Sittings free 350, others 650.  Present morning 300 + 118 scholars; afternoon 540 + 124 scholars; evening 358.  Average (12 months) morning 500 + 128 scholars; afternoon 650 + 138 scholars; evening 500.  Remarks the minister being absent through indisposition, normal evening service was not held.  There is a Bible Class, Singing Class, Clothing Club, and Lending Library connected with Sabbath school and young people of congregation, and a Book Society for benefit of adult members of congregation.  Signed N. M. Steptoe, Deacon; H. Abbott, Samuel Drury, witnesses. (8)

Birth and Baptism register dates from 1706; old meeting house there in 1788; new chapel's foundation stone laid 1820.  Affiliated to Suffolk Congregational Union.1

Citations

  1. [S64] T. C. B. Timmins, editor, Suffolk Returns From The Census Of Religious Worship, 1851 (PO Box 9, Woodbridge, Suffolk IP12 3DF: Suffolk Records Society, 1997). Hereinafter cited as 1851 Census Of Religious Worship.