M, #4443, b. 27 Dec 1878, d. from 8 Apr 1918 to 16 Apr 1918
|Father*||Joseph Robert Cawson Hailes2 b. between 4 Apr 1848 and 2 Apr 1850|
|Mother*||Maria Tuffs2 b. between 4 Apr 1849 and 2 Apr 1851|
Robert Hailes was born on 27 Dec 1878.5 He was the son of Joseph Robert Cawson Hailes and Maria Tuffs.2 Robert Hailes was baptized on 23 Feb 1879 in St. Mary Magdalene, Thornham Magna, Suffolk, England.5 His birth was registered in the Mar 1879 quarter in the Hartismere registration district.6 He married Edith Anne Smith, daughter of James Smith, on 24 May 1905 in Kirk Ireton, Derbyshire, England.7 The marriage of Robert Hailes and Edith Anne Smith was registered in the Jun 1905 quarter in the Ashbourne registration district.8 Robert Hailes was described as Height 5' 7.5", Chest 39.25", Expansion 2.5" on 24 Nov 1915.9 As of between 8 Apr 1918 and 16 Apr 1918, Robert Hailes and Edith Anne Smith lived at Derby House. Broad Walk, Buxton, Derbyshire, England. Robert Hailes has no known burial place, and is commemorated on a Commonwealth War Memorial on The Ploegsteert Memorial, Hainault, Belgium; Panel Reference: Panel 1.2 He died from 8 Apr 1918 to 16 Apr 1918 in Hainault, Belgium; during WW1.10
Last Edited=12 Feb 2016
- [S241] Website Roll Of Honour - Suffolk County Council (https://www.suffolkarchives.co.uk/times/war-and-conflict/…).
- [S19] Website Commonwealth War Graves Commission (http://www.cwgc.org) "http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/873584/."
- [S549] Monumental inscription in the Church of (Churchyard of St. Mary Magdalene) "unknown cd."
- [S25] Online image of the 1881 Census for England & Wales (1881 Census - England & Wales, http://www.ancestry.com) "Class: RG11; Piece: 1854; Folio: 15; Page: 11; GSU roll: 1341448."
- [S575] Microfilm of the Baptisms of St. Mary Magdalene, Thornham Magna, 1754 to 1899 (Suffolk Record Office, unknown film number).
- [S11] General Record Office Indexes to Births, 1837 - 2005 (General Register Office) "Mar 1879 Hartismere 4a 625."
- [S573] Website Ancestry - Derbyshire Parish Registers (www.ancestry.co.uk).
- [S12] General Record Office Indexes to Marriages, 1837 - 2005 (General Register Office) "Jun 1905 Ashbourne 7b 1375."
- [S574] Service Record of Robert Hailes, Scottish Rifles, WW1 (The National Archives, WO 363) "unknown cd."
- [S19] Website Commonwealth War Graves Commission (http://www.cwgc.org) "www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1613511/."
- [S16] Online image of the 1891 Census for England & Wales (1891 Census - England & Wales, http://www.ancestry.com) "Class: RG12; Piece: 1459; Folio: 113; Page: 2; GSU roll: 6096569."
- [S3] Online image of the 1901 Census for England & Wales (1901 Census - England & Wales, http://www.ancestry.co.uk) "Class: RG13; Piece: 402; Folio: 127; Page: 45."
- [S572] Information supplied by Ken Morrison to Suzie Morley (Sweetbrier Barn, Mill Green, Stonham Aspal, Suffolk IP14 6BZ), 18th December, 2014.
- [S11] General Record Office Indexes to Births, 1837 - 2005 (General Register Office) "Mar 1907 Wrexham 11b 217."