Montague George Artiss1
M, #1278, b. Dec 1889, d. 18 Nov 1916
|Father||George Artiss1,2 b. between 3 Apr 1864 and 1 Apr 1866, d. before 29 Sep 1939|
|Mother||Charlotte Whiting1 b. 31 Jan 1858|
Montague George Artiss was born between 3 Apr 1889 and 1 Apr 1891 in Winston, Suffolk, England.3 His birth was registered in the Dec 1889 quarter in the Bosmere registration district.4 He was the son of George Artiss and Charlotte Whiting.1,2 The marriage of Montague George Artiss and Catherine Mary Cooke was registered in the Mar 1915 quarter in the Cambridge registration district.5 As of 1 Mar 1915, Montague George Artiss and Catherine Mary Cooke lived at 136 Ross Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England.6 Montague George Artiss married Catherine Mary Cooke, daughter of John Cooke, on 1 Mar 1915 in The Register Office, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England; Witnesses were Aubrey Maurice White, Horace Lamb & Herbert Gentle.6 Montague George Artiss died on 18 Nov 1916 in Somme, France, at age 26; during WW1.1 As of 18 Nov 1916, Montague George Artiss and Catherine Mary Cooke lived at Hill Road, Besthorpe, Attleborough, Norfolk, England.1 Montague George Artiss has no known burial place, and is commemorated on a Commonwealth War Memorial on The Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France; Pier and Face 5 D and 6.1
Family: Montague George Artiss and Catherine Mary Cooke
Last Edited=24 Jan 2017
- [S19] Website Commonwealth War Graves Commission (http://www.cwgc.org) "http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/771039/."
- [S3] Online image of the 1901 Census for England & Wales (1901 Census - England & Wales, http://www.ancestry.co.uk) "Class: RG13; Piece: 1768; Folio: 180; Page: 1."
- [S2] Online image of the 1911 Census for England & Wales (1911 Census - England & Wales, http://www.ancestry.co.uk) "Class: RG14; Piece: 11345."
- [S11] General Record Office Indexes to Births, 1837 - 2005 (General Register Office) "Dec 1889 Bosmere 4a 751."
- [S12] General Record Office Indexes to Marriages, 1837 - 2005 (General Register Office) "Mar 1915 Cambridge 3b 766."
- [S736] Montague George Artiss & Catherine Mary Cooke - Marriage - 1st March, 1915, unknown repository, unknown repository address. Hereinafter cited as Montague George Artiss & Catherine Mary Cooke - Marriage - 1/3/1915.
- [S16] Online image of the 1891 Census for England & Wales (1891 Census - England & Wales, http://www.ancestry.com) "Class: RG12; Piece: 1462; Folio: 80; Page: 21; GSU roll: 6096572."
- [S501] Soldiers Died In The Great War of Montague George Artiss, Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, 1914 - 1920 (Ancestry, Soldiers Died In WW1) "unknown cd."
- [S368] Medal Card of Montague G Artiss, The Queens Regiment, 1914 - 1920 (The Western Front Association, WW1 Medal Index Cards) "Roll E/1/101 B10 Page 1849."
- [S120] Monumental inscription in the Church of (Churchyard of St. Mary Magdalene) "unknown cd."