World War 1 & 2

Thornham Magna War Memorial

The Thornham Magna War Memorial was unveiled on 21st August 1921. It was dedicated by Rev. Canon C D Lawrence and unveiled by Col. Lord Henniker, who was also the Sponsor.  It is sited in the Churchyard of St. Mary Magdalene, the Parish Church.

It is described as a "Celtic Cross on Stepped Base" and is made of Portland Stone. It has a height of 10 feet, the base is 39 inches and has a depth of 29 inches.1  The Builder was Mr. J. Cooley.

Citations

  1. [S315] Website IWM War Memorials Archive (http://www.ukniwm.org.uk).

Thornham Magna War Memorial

IN HONOURED MEMORY
OF THE MEN
FROM THE THORNHAMS
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 - 1918

William Moss
Fred Gooderham
Claude Hubbard
Albert Head
Robert Hailes
Walter Hawes
John Mayes
Arthur Markwell
Thomas Spalding
Henry Thompson
Victor Wightman

THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE


1939 - 1945

Percy Lummis
Reginald Mayes